Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Get On Your Boots

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a committed U2 fan. So they released their new single, and I've been listening to it for 2 days now. My first impression is that the lyrics are very weak. And that the tune sounds like a rip off of "Wild Wild West" from some band nobody remembers. This album is supposed to be the next "Achtung Baby" and I really hope it is. But "The Fly," the first single from that ground-breaking album, had FAR better lyrics.
Now that I've heard "Get On Your Boots" a few more times I will say this- I'm sure it will be a big hit. The hooks and beats are all there to put U2 in the dance clubs for the first time in 16 years. This gives me high hopes for the new album. The first single is never the best song, it's just the most radio friendly. I suffered through the "Pop" years when everyone hated U2, so I was glad when "Beautiful Day" was a hit, even though I hate that song, because I was tired of having to defend my favorite band to the masses. Though it was nice getting front row tickets for $30 when nobody liked them.
Speaking of "Pop," I think that album was WAY ahead of it's time. The world is still not ready for it, but soon. The band even threw that album under the bus. But if you're looking for songs that don't play it safe and songs that have a meaning, I'll take "Pop" over the last two any day. They really took a chance on that record and it nearly killed them.
So may the new album hold more edgy, dark, dance-able tunes that prove why these guys are still relevant when so many of their peers are playing the "Where Are They Now?" circuit. Let the cougars in the clubs shake their fake racks and tramp-stamped asses to "Sexy Boots" while I ponder the meaning of life with the rest of the tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment