Sunday, February 1, 2009

Best Halftime Show Ever

Bruce really brought it tonight. I've seen him and the E Street band several times, so I already know. But my friends watching the game with me did not, and now they see. Bruce IS rock and roll. It seems just about every singer / songwriter I've played with is somehow above showmanship. They must also be above superstardom. There are millions of people out there who write good songs. Most of these songs no one will ever hear. There are also millions of people who have a great stage presence, but whose songs are lacking. Any long tenured cover band can tell you that. But if you take great songs and add a charismatic, high energy entertaining frontman the possibilities are endless. Rock and roll can change the world, it can open our eyes, but it's also supposed to be fun! There's a time and place for the serious, acoustic, depressing songs. I love a lot of those songs. But just like I think it takes courage to not be a half-assed activist these days, I also think it takes courage to admit that "yeah, I'm a rock and roll star. I'm a showman and it's FUN!"

1 comment:

  1. Tripple OMG Capncrash! I came upon your blog and fell that I've gotten so lucky!

    I just started playing the drums a few years ago and I've had a hard time understanding how to break into the industry. Thank god one of you professionals are king enough to document the steps it takes to get where you are.

    There's is the cloak of mystery that all the pros seem to hide behind, like a secret society that doesn't reveal their tricks and tips.

    Thanks to you for helping us aspiring beginners learn the path to take.

    How may hours a day do you practice?

    ReplyDelete